Thursday, April 19, 2012

Guys day

I live with one of those most interesting creatures known to human civilization: a teenager. With all of the trials and frustrations that are part of raising this young man to be a responsible, self-reliant, caring, inquisitive, etc. adult man there are also moments of absolute joy and wonder. And one such occasion of joy was when the guy asked if we could have a “guys day” . . . just the two of us to go out, see a movie or something. Of course I jumped at the chance!

So we set aside a recent Saturday for this unprecedented event and ventured out to the movies. We saw An Act of Valor . . . the teen is just shy of 17 years old, so I am comfortable taking him to see this.

This was something he wanted to see; and his mother is quite squeamish – he knew that she’d never make it through the movie at all.

And I was all to happy and eager to have this time with the boy.

Okay . . . so, not the best action movie – we’ve both seen better. But it certainly has reverence for the men and women who sacrifice so much for the rest of us, so we can go about our lives (and even blog about it).

After the movie we both wanted to extend our day together. “How about we go out for something to eat?” he asked.

“Sure! Have any place in mind? There’s a Buffalo Wild Wings nearby.”

“Wild Wings sounds great!”

And so we did. Several orders of hot wings later, along with some pretty awesome conversation, we finally made our way home. And there we regaled my wife about the events of the day, which was one more way for me to relish the time spent with my son.

And the best part of it all was that he, unsolicited, ended the day with, “I liked this. Let’s do it again soon.”

Soon can’t come soon enough for me!

No comments: