Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Who do you think you are?

Subtitle: Getting back into my own family history research

I have to admit one of the TV shows I really enjoy is TLC’s Who Do You Think You Are? (I’m so glad TLC picked it up after NBC cancelled it way-back-when!).

I’ve had an interest in family history and genealogy – having a father who was a master storyteller and who recounted all the family stories and legends probably sparked my curiosity and interest. Boy! He sure could tell ‘em! I can remember many nights hearing about family history and lore. So, ‘thanks, Dad’ for planting that seed.

And back a number of years I began some genealogy research. I was hooked! It’s a mystery story, a detective novel, and a very personal perspective on US history all rolled into one. And there’s something to be said for knowing from whom I came … what was the mettle that helped my ancestors move forward through their lives … what might be those familial characteristics (beyond hair and eye color) that we’ve inherited and embraced?

Yet this takes time – time I just don’t have in much supply.

So I have left my research on the shelves at home – gathering a bit of dust. But no more! I am determined to tackle my family’s history bit-by-bit … even if it’s just a hour per week – not much, I know, but better than nothing.

So, now I’m looking to update information and to double check sources and be a bit more thorough than I had been in the past.

No comments: