Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Sight and Sound Theater - family vacation day 1

The Sight and Sound Theater: The first thing I said when I entered the theater was "wow!" because of its sheer scale. This thing is huge (their millennium theater, that is. There is another theater - living water- that we're going to see today).

This is the view of the Millennium theater when you first see it from the parking lot.


This is a statue/fountain at the theater's entrance ... imagery from Isaiah ...

It is no secret that this theater and the entire organization of it is seriously Christian ... bible-based Christian, to be more exact. That's fine ... cool, even ... hey there! I like the Bible, too. Okay - so the organization here sees this as a ministry ... as a way to evangelize by putting on bible-based theater. Fair enough!
One of the ways I see it is that there is just so much doo-doo out there in the entertainment world ... so much stuff that really is pathetic in terms production and quality ... and there's plenty of stuff that is morally objectionable - plenty that is plain ol' amoral too. It was refreshing to see a piece of theater that was deliberately made to go against that grain.


This is the curtain when you enter the theater ... doesn't do it justice here ... it's actually 4 stories tall! And the entire stage wraps around the audience.

Can't complain at all with the production itself (by that I mean the set, lights, costumes, etc.). In fact they were astounding. All of these elements came together (as they're supposed to do) to give me a feeling of awe ... wow! again. I think I even said wow! once or twice during the show.


The end of Act 1 is the barring from the Garden of Eden. During the entire intermission these actors had to stand onstage with those flaming swords.

Nor could I complain about the acting and singing. The quality there was also top notch.


This is a Fontanini creche display in one of the areas in the lobby. Since wifey collects Fontanini ... well, let's just say that it was cool to see this.

The script ... okay ... that was a little stilted in places ... but I gotta admit that it could have been much much worse (think about some productions with all that stilted language of "thee" and "thou" and non-conversational sentences). Bringing a bible story to life on stage is no mean feat ... I was impressed and very much entertained. Bottom line = a night well spent with family.

The theology that was presented was a bit thin and their vision of Church equally so. But that is to be expected, I would say. Besides, I wasn't looking for a deeply refined Christology or Ecclesialogy ... and I would be really put off if they were terribly, horribly preachy ...

The fact of the matter was that I very much enjoyed myself ... and I think that the wife and boy did too. And we all said how much we'd like to come back to see some of their other shows ... their Christmas shows (they have 2) and their new show about Joseph.

Right in the middle of the lobby is a display for their new musical about Joseph ... you know?!? the one with that colored coat ...

... and it was red and yellow and ....


No comments: