Sunday, December 03, 2006

Agra and the Taj Majal

(My Agra Adventure - Part 2)

I arrive in Agra, find my guide, and go to the Taj Mahal ... which is not just one building. It is actually an entire complex. The most important and most famous, of course, is the Taj Mahal Mausoleum itself.

This first shot is of the East Gate - where you enter the grounds, which is a large courtyard area.. There are three gates (East, West and South). The Southern Gate is the entrance to actual residences and artisan homes ... where those who are responsible for taking care of the grounds and buildings live. I was told that several families living there can trace their ancestry straight to the men who were the original builders and craftsmen for the Taj.


The next shot is of the entrance to the Taj.

Okay ... a little bit of architectural history here ... the red part is red sandstone ... and all the rest is marble (white marble and black marble).

In the courtyard, I was assailed by folks hawking all sorts of things ... the most prominent sales people are "professional" photographers ... where you pay them a fee, they'll take your photo ... and you can then pick up the photos on your way out. My guide told me NOT to do this ... his words: "You might get your photos, if you can find the guy once you get out of the Taj. And there's no guarantee of quality."

There are 11 small domes running across the top - symbolizing that it took 11 years to build the Taj.

 

You walk through the gate of the entrance ... being teased by the site of the Taj Mahal as you go through it ... anticipation building ...

And there you see it!

The Taj Mahal .... all I can say is that it was breathtaking! What an amazing site to behold.

 

(There will be plenty of other posts ... but right now I need to go to sleep ... I'll pick up my Agra adventures tomorrow ... so be sure to come back.)

Categories: ,

No comments: