Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Long Flight Out (Part 3)

Thankfully when flying business class you have your own "special line" ... just makes it a whole lot easier.

I get up to the counter ... and am told that I am only allowed one carry on ... "But this is my carryon and the other is the laptop." ... This was the rule of the airline (I checked their website before heading to Mumbai just to be sure) ... but NOOOOOO ... flying out of Mumbai, everyone is only allowed one bag and one bag only.

AND ... I was told that passengers were not allowed any (none, nada, zip, ziltch) toiletries or toothpaste in any of the carry on baggage ... At least when I was flying out I was able to carry one small, clear ziploc baggie that had small sample sizes of toiletries. Not when flying out of Mumbai ... it ALL has to be in the checked luggage.

So, I have to go all the way back to where the x-ray machines are for the checked luggage ... I swap some things around between the two bags making sure that I have a change of clothes with me just in case ... and proceed to check a third bag for the flight home.

Go through security (which is a serious pat-down job by a very serious looking military officer, who is flanked by another officer dude weapon at the ready) ... and I am at the gate ready to get onboard.

The flight to Frankfurt is about 8 and-a-half hours ... I manage to get some sleep (FINALLY!), watch a movie (White Christmas, the one with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye), and get to Germany without any problems.

Now it is a four-hour layover in Frankfurt.

No comments: