Monday, December 04, 2006

Going back to Delhi

My touring of Agra is over ... and I'm back in the car - said a thank you and goodnight to my guide - and I'm heading back to Delhi.

Another 5-hour car ride! UGH

It was a bit rough getting out of Agra ... but the driver really did a great job navigating the roads and heavy traffic. Then it hit me ... since my driver doesn't speak English, and given some of the difficulties finding the meeting place in Agra where I was to hook up with the guide ... does he really know where to take me once I get into Delhi?

A slight panic set in the pit of my stomach. Well ... he's my only form of transportation ... and with my cellphone not working (just couldn't get any signal the entire weekend) I am completely in his hands now. Say a prayer ... say lots of prayers!

I was so tired that I did manage to crash while in the car ... sleep that is ... no actual vehicular crashing (thank goodness!). And when I awoke we were only 3 hours into the drive.

Finally approaching Delhi, I tried to confirm with the driver that he knew where to drop me off ... all the while saying to myself: "Please, God, get me to my destination safely." And I kept thinking what would my father have done in my place ... just go with the flow ... keep your eyes open and lookout for anything unusual ... keep trying to communicate as best as possible ... and hope for the best.

We did arrive at the correct location - the Delhi offices of the company I'm working with over here in India. - WHEW!

Arrived there around 11:30pm local time. I was greeted by the guards (who saluted me as they held the door open ... oookayyy) and met with one of the office managers there. They gave me a minute to freshen up, have a drink of water, and even called home (my first chance since leaving Pune).

They got a cab for me to take me to their guesthouse.

I am very grateful for the company here to allow me to stay overnight in their guesthouse ... saved a bunch of money compared to a hotel room.

The guesthouse is HUGE! with beautiful rooms on every floor. The bathroom where I was (on the second floor) is bigger than I've ever been in ... here are a few pictures of my accomodations.

The night wasn't the best ... I got a bit sick. Probably from the combination of eating so fast in Agra and my nerves because of concerns about getting lost in Delhi at night. So, I spent most of the evening in the bathroom than I did in the bed.

Thankfully, I brought my medicines along ... so with some time and a calmer stomach, I managed to get a few hours of sleep on Saturday.

Sunday morning started my adventures in Delhi.

No comments: