Tuesday, December 05, 2006

A Visit to Kashmir in Delhi (Part 9)

The very last stop in Delhi was to a family-owned and operated "factory" in Delhi. The family is from Kashmir and they specialize in making rugs and pashmini ... based on the traditional way of doing it in Kashmir.

I was taken into their factory and showroom and they showed me how they make their rugs. Kashmir rugs are single-knotted (Persion rugs are typically double-knotted) ... made from wool or silk or both ... and the wool used is actually from Kashmir ... when it's sold in the US, the spelling gets changed to 'Cashmere' ... which is the softest around. ... What makes Kashmir wool so soft is that they'll only use the wool from the underside of the Ibex's neck and underbelly ... so it takes quite a few animals to collect enough wool to make something.

After learning how they make their rugs, then I was shown a wide array of the rugs in their factory ... that was a treat! ... I was sitting in their 'showroom' and they bring over some green tea that was infused with herbs and some biscuits (we'd call them cookies in the US) ... then the show began.

Each rug was brought out rolled into a bolt ... the man would stand at the opposite end of the room from me ... then he'd pause and then bow ... when he bowed he'd basically unfurl the rug so that it rolled toward me. So, rug after rug ... bow and unfurl ... one after another ... it was quite a show.

And My Goodness! These are beautiful works of art!

Okay - I bought one (had to make a confession to my wife back home) ... which although it was a little more money than I would have liked to spend ... it is just something that could never be bought back in the US (and if we ever did buy it back home it would cost many more times what I spent here). And through some arrangement with the Delhi government these cottage industries are free from taxes ... which could range anywhere from 15-18% ... and can be shipped overseas at no additional charge.

So in about two weeks time our Kashmir rug will be arriving at our doorstep back home. And I really think that we're going to hang it on the wall ... it is after all a beautiful work of art.

Categories: , ,

No comments: