Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Long Flight Out (Part 2)

Taking a flight out of an Indian airport is ... ummm ... interesting, to say the least.

As we pulled up to the curb, three guys come rushing toward the car - open the doors - get a wheeled cart - load up my suitcases onto the cart - and they're off taking me to the entrance. I really should have expected this ... but with it being nearly midnight (and after a full day's work) and a bit bleary-eyed and foggy-headed, I just didn't realize until too late ... these three guys were not airport employees. They rushed the car in order to make a couple of bucks.

They stop by the door to the terminal ... one of the three guys wraps his arms around the cart containing the suitcases; the other one stands right in front of me; the third one (off to my side) tells me to pay them in euros. (I don't have euros ... only a couple of dollars and a bunch of rupees).

Sizing up the situation, I reach into my pocket and pull out a 500 rupee note (about $10 US), give it to the guy on my side, bump the guy away from the cart and call for the security officer in a loud voice ... and I'm pushing the cart away from these three characters. Sheesh! ... Okay ... I'm in the airport now.

Before heading to the counter, all passengers must have their baggage screened (only that which they will check for the flight). I went through this once before when going to Delhi ... you put the suitcase onto the belt and it gets xrayed. When it emerges, two security officers wrap a belt around the suitcase and secure it tightly ... the idea is that you cannot open the suitcase without breaking the seal on this belt. With my two suitcases ready to be checked I go find the counter to check into my flight.

Categories: ,

No comments: