Monday, December 04, 2006

An Inauspicious Start in Delhi

On Sunday morning, because I had been sick the night before, I seriously considered cancelling the rest of my trip and head back to Pune earlier than planned. I managed to call my contact here in Pune ... unfortunately, such a change would cost me more money ... and I really couldn't justify the expense. So, I took some more medicine and decided to play it out as originally planned.

At the guesthouse I met a couple from the US, who have been in Delhi for two months. The gentleman works for the company I'm visiting ... he works in one of their US offices, but he's been visiting their Delhi office for this time. Two months! Now THAT'S a business trip.

At 9am a guy from the company came to pick me up to take me to the tour office where I was to meet up with my new driver and guide ... but ... things got messed up.

Because of my phone call to my Pune contact, I guess he misunderstood my final decision to stick with the original plan, he cancelled my tour guide and driver. DOUBLE UGH!

After a few phone calls - thankfully the guy with me had a working cellphone - we got a guide set up ... but no driver. So, this guy from the Delhi office stayed with me the whole day as the driver.

My tour guide introduced himself as Doctor - I'll call him Dr. S. When I asked "Doctor of what?" he replied, "Doctor of holistic medicine."

And Dr. S. told me that he is also a professional photographer, a worker for a children's charity, and a teacher of German (I didn't see any connection to that one).

So, during the entire tour in Delhi Dr. S. treated me to a brief Eastern medical/personality analysis/reading based on my birthdate (astrology) and my name (numerology). ... According to Dr. S:

  • I am artistic - leaning more toward the performing arts
  • I need a creative outlet in my life - and I work to find one
  • I am a deep thinker ... okay ... everyone can laugh at that one
  • I definitely have a sweet tooth
  • I snore - so I must start wearing a ring on my pinky ... apparently that will give enough pressure on some point that connects to some 'anti-snoring' whatever
  • I love my sleep
  • I like to have my own space
  • I have a heavy personality ... this sort of goes with the 'deep thinker' thing ... where I am not so easily persuaded into something, but prefer to do my own thing and not get pushed into something I'm not interested in ... which is a very diplomatic and polite way of saying that I'm as stubborn as a mule ;-)

It was certainly an interesting time speaking to him.

No comments: