Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Food ... Glorious Food ...

"Food, glorious food!
Eat right through the menu.
Just loosen your belt
Two inches and then you
Work up a new appetite.
In this interlude --
The food,
Once again, food
Fabulous food,
Glorious food." (Lyrics by Lionel Bart from Oliver!)

Right before I left for India, a manager at my firm said: "We've sent many associates to India and have always brought them back home safely ... ten pounds lighter, perhaps ..."

Not me! I'm having none of it. Bring on the food and let's add to my ever-growing, middle-aged belly's width.

And I have taken the dive into Indian cuisine. Yes, it is spicy ... some spicier than others ... but oh so good.

Two dishes I've had and very much enjoyed:

Coriander Chutney - this has been the spiciest so far. I had it on Saturday ... in fact, the woman who was serving wore a knowing smile when she asked if I wanted to try it. "Yes, I would," was my reply. Her eyes followed me as I took my first taste ... and ... KAPLOW! I think she enjoyed my sudden expression of surprise. Yet, after the initial shock wore off, I managed to relish it all. It was served with steamed rice cakes that were used to mop up the chutney.

Biryani - this is a very traditional dish. There are as many variations on the recipe as there are those who prepare it. I opted for the chicken biryani. This variation included rice, pieces of chicken meat, sliced veggies and spices ... all served together in a clay pot (a small crock, really). On the side included a yogurt sauce that had cucumbers and red chilis ... so there was a cool and hot action going on.

Categories: , , ,

No comments: