Saturday, November 11, 2006

Sports & Athletics Day

Today, 11/11 the Pune team had a Sports Day. Each year they have a sports day where they compete against each other. There are four verticals ... think of them as departments ... who compete against each other ... in sort of a tournament. At stake is pride and the awarding of several tropies and awards. There were several games and sports activities held throughout the day. There was badminton inside the clubhouse.

And there was football (that's soccer to us in the USA).

Other activities included table tennis, chess, relay races, tug-of-war, and carem (which is kind of like billiards ... but is played on a square, wooden table with discs. There are pockets in each corner. Four players sit around this table ... you play as partners ... You play by "flicking" a half-dollar sized disc with your fingers and try to knock your team's colored discs ... they are black and white ... in the pockets. The first team to sink all of their discs into the corner pockets wins.)

I tried my hand at carem ... wasn't very good at it ... just couldn't get the hang of flicking the discs properly while judging the angles in order to shoot them into the pockets. My team mate was very very gracious ... since I only managed to sink one disc.

I was also roped into playing some badminton. My legs will be a bit sore tomorrow from the exercise. I was a bit more successful at badminton that I was at carem.

It was a truly fun day ... getting to relax and play with the Pune team ... they really are a great group of people; and I am so glad that I'm here getting to know them.

No comments: