Saturday, November 11, 2006

Today is Veteran's Day in the US

In 1918, on the 11th day of the 11th month at the 11th hour, all hostilities formally ceased - bringing an end to World War I. The world knows this as Armistice Day (and it was called "Victory Day" early on), and we in the US commemorate this as a holiday - Veteran's Day.

I mentioned in an earlier post that my father was in India in 1945. He served in the Merchant Marines during WWII ... he was part of what we've come to know as The Greatest Generation, who fought to stop the spread of Fascism, Nazism and the aggression of the axis powers at that time.

It's a bit difficult being away from home during this month ... both my mom and dad's birthdays occur in November.

And today is a day where I often ponder what it was my dad must have seen and experienced during the battles of WWII.

Most especially, today I pray for my brother-in-law, who is now serving in Iraq. May he come home safely (and soon) to his family.

Categories: ,

No comments: