Saturday, November 04, 2006

I'm Getting Used to the Currency Here

It is still not easy for me to do the math quickly in my head ... the exchange rate averages 42 - 45 Rupees per 1 US dollar. ... And, of course, the exchange rate changes each day and throughout the day ... You can play around with conversions at this site (which I found through a search the other day)

Here are some scans of some of the current Rupee notes ... 1,000 Rupees is roughly equal to $22 US; and the 100 Rupee is roughly equal to $2 and some change. Another interesting thing (as these scans suggest) is that the denominations are different sizes ... and - alas - the 1,000 Rupee note doesn't quite fit in my wallet ... it is a bit too big, so I have to fold those up.

a 1,000 Rupee Note a 100 Rupee Note

Okay ... so now imagine that you're sitting at a restaurant and you see the prices on the menu like ... 375 ... this is where I get a little befuddled ... basically you need to divide this by 42 to get a good estimate of the conversion ... UGH!

I find it much easier to think of 100 Rupees being equivalent to $2.00 ... then I'll figure it this way:

375 Rupees is 3 -3/4 sets of 100 times $2.00 ... making it approximately 3.75 x $2 = $7.50 ...
Okay ... if you check this site, you'll get $8.36 ... so, I'm a little bit off in my estimate.

Categories: , ,

No comments: