Monday, November 27, 2006

A Rough Day

I knew that it was bound to happen - eventually ... and it seemed to hit me hard today for some reason. I thought that it might creep up on me last Thursday - thinking of home, hearth and family; but it was a work day here ... so I was able to keep a focus on the immediate things around me regarding work.

But today - maybe because it was a holiday here ... and as much as I tried to get some work done from the hotel room ... this was the day it hit ... and it hit hard.

It's been a long time away from family ... and November is a month filled with family events (birthdays, holidays, beginning of Advent, and the inevitable planning for Christmas) ... as much as I know that I will be home soon, today was when my heart just ached.

And it was very difficult to concentrate on anything work-related today ... my mind wandering to over 10 timezones away - missing what some may refer to as the mundane day-to-day ... but those day-to-day moments, no matter how ordinary or mundane or routine, are that which mean so much to this middle-aged guy.

For instance ... my little man will be auditioning for a county-wide arts program next weekend. When he was nominated for the program ... coming home from school ... pulling out the nomination sheet and information packet ... and saying with gusto, "This was the best news ALL WEEK!" ... telling us all about the program and how much he wants to be a part of it. ...

And I'll be missing out on the day of the audition ... being there to wrap my arms around him ... in congratulations or in a comforting hug. ...

OK ... I knew this was part of the deal by going here. I'm not regretting this trip FOR A SECOND! ... And I'm grateful for the opportunity ... It's just difficult at times ... today being most difficult ... that's all.

So, what did I do?
One thing was to go to Youtube and listened to/watched one of my favorite songs (it may not be everyone's cup of tea ...) by Mercy Me - I Can Only Imagine ...

No comments: