Monday, November 13, 2006

Rest in Peace, Bella

I've not posted about this, because other things either took precedence and ... well ... because I knew how hard this would be.

Upon my arriving in Pune, I received a call from home that our cat Bella had died. It was unexpected ... and it did sadden us all quite a lot.

She was a people cat, to be sure ... as you can see she'd just lay out and nap right on my lap. It became a nightly ritual of her cuddling up and dozing off on my lap ... until the puppy arrived - then she chose to stay upstairs in the bedrooms.

We got Bella from a shelter ... and I remember the day of her arrival: I came home from work, entered the front door only to find my little dude crouched on all fours peering underneath our loveseat ... "I'm looking for Bella."
"Uhhh ... what are you talking about?" I asked, a bit wary.
"We got her today."
And with one look at her, I was smitten with our little kitten.

Bella lived with us for several years; her death was unexpected. We believe that she was only five years old -- or thereabouts. But things just happened; and even with our vet's best of efforts, Bella died.

So just imagine my first night in Pune ... still a bit jet-lagged ... and mildly apprehensive and unsure of the adventures awaiting me ... when in the wee hours of the morning the phone rings Only to hear the sad news of Bella's passing. I could only reach out with my voice to comfort my family; and that was probably the most difficult part of all ... not being able to hug my family to reassure them. But that was just not in the cards.

Here are some photos of Bella ...

Categories: , ,

No comments: